Tuesday, March 28, 2006

need... sleep...

Ever since Japan, I've been sleeping an average of 6 hours a night. It's getting to the point where I NEED my cup of tea in the morning, and sometimes even indulge in more tea and a sugary snack midway through the afternoon, and a walk, to stay awake. The last time I felt this perpetually tired was high school - and nobody was paying me to be awake for 8 hours back then.

I find it ironic that the earlier I set my alarm (in a bid to get to work on time), the later I actually arrive at work. I'm depriving myself of up to an hour's quality sleep time while I listen to the radio and try and mentally beat myself out of bed every morning. The longer the cycle continues, the more alarm/sleep time I have to endure, and the less actual sleep I'm getting. (and let's not forget I'm still getting to work late). I envy people who can get up at 6am, go for a run, and be bright and cheery at work by 8. I'm just Not A Morning Person...

The trouble starts when people at work start making comments.

THEM: Wow, you look tired - big weekend?

ME: No. I was on messenger until 1:30am. I should probably stop doing that.

The thing is, if it's 11:30 and weeknight, I really should just stop what I'm doing and go to bed, but I don't. I just spend time trying to convince myself that it's okay if I'm writing email at 1 in the morning, or watching just one more episode of Veronica Mars, or reading another fifty pages of the new book I started.

There has to be a medical name for this disease. I really need a cure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home