Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I <3 superdrug!

It has rained every day I've been in London. I've been told that I brought it with me. :(

I just had two new and exciting adventures, involving the supermarket and the pharmacy.

London supermarkets are a single cook's heaven. A lot of things come in single serve portions, like fresh pasta (similar to Latina), sauces, vegetables and meats. If you're lazy, they also have a huge array of prepared meals ready for heating & eating. It seems a lot more acceptable to eat the prepared meal here, the prepared foods section is just as big as the fruit and vegetable section, if not bigger! Even Marks & Spencer (what seems to be a UK Grace Bros) and Boots (Priceline) have food sections.

They also offer you 'grades' of preparedness. For example, you can buy raw carrots and broccoli. Or, you can buy raw but pre-cut carrots and broccoli. Or, you can buy pre cut carrots and broccoli with a knob of herb butter in a microwaveable container so that all you have to do when you go home is warm it up. (Or pre cut carrots and broccoli with dip on the side for an afternoon snack). Same goes with meat - you can buy raw meat, marinated meat, or cooked meat that you just need to heat up. I know, I can hear you all saying "but you can get that in Australia!" but instead of being relegated to bachelor meal status, it seems to be okay if you eat the prepared meal in London. It's like it's reached a higher elevation on the food chain.

My first adventures into Boots and Superdrug were eye opening. The most impressive was the fact that they have a TRAVEL SECTION of toiletries, where all your most favourite brands come in a mini version 1/8th the size! I was floored. I love miniatures of anything - in Australia you have to pounce when they're in the supermarkets or offered as promotional items, but they're ALWAYS available here. Always!

The other thing that amazed my little heart was the self checkout available at Tescos. It's completely human-free. You scan everything yourself, and pack them into bags yourself. It has little sensors in a 'packing' area to detect if you've put something in a bag that you haven't paid for. Once you've scanned everything, you swipe your credit card, pick up your goods and go merrily on your way.

I say again... wow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home