Wednesday, April 05, 2006

bugs

We have a cockroach problem.

I really shouldn't be surprised since I live in the inner city, but it's somewhat off-putting when you walk into the kitchen and you see 3 in the space of a minute (not an unusual circumstance). I used to be scared to death of cockroaches; now I just have a feud to settle.

What's worse is that I think they're german cockroaches, the ones with an amazing life cycle and the ability to spawn six generations in a year. Ugh.

We seem to get about 6 months of major roach activity each year. The horror starts in December, the worst of it peaks in March/April, and then it dies down in Winter. We have a few blissful months where we might see one or two roaches a month, then it all goes wrong again.

My flatmate and I have tried many things to erradicate the bugs - surface spray, roach bait, ignoring them - but nothing has done the trick. We even bought cockroach bombs (a self-emptying can of roach spray that kills bugs and then settles into your cupboards, beds, couches, utensils, books, clothing and any other personal items you value) but we chickened out. We figured it was too much work to clean everything afterwards and we'd probably get re-infested within a week anyway.

Roaches are the #1 thing I hate about my apartment. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home