Sunday, May 21, 2006

wedding of the year

On paper, this weekend looked crazy: Gab's work farewell drinks and mum's birthday on Friday night, The Wedding on Saturday, and Gab's uni group farewell on Sunday. In amongst all these social events I was supposed to be packing in preparation of The Big Move next Saturday (yeah, right) and hoping that everything was generally going to plan.

Well, it all turned out okay in the end, if you ignore the fact that I didn't pack a single thing.

Mum's birthday dinner was a nice evening. We ate at the Hurstville Chinese Restaurant, then afterwards I went back and we played with Dad's new karaoke system. Jasmine seems to behave herself much better after going to training, so she was allowed to stay in the house with us for pretty much the whole night and she didn't even chew on anything. Bonus!

Deb and Greg's wedding was wonderful. The ceremony was held in St Brendan's church in Annandale, followed by a reception at La Mirage in Five Dock. It's the first church wedding that I've been to where I've known the couple. The best part was being able to catch up with old Squiz friends, including Blair, who'd flown all the way from the UK to attend! That's true dedication.

The reception was lots of fun - Greg and Deb both looked stunning, and the bridesmaids as well. Agi looked very sporting in his tux and gave a hiliarous speech that only the squizians from The Golden Age really understood the jokes to. It's amazing how much he managed to fit into there, including a reference to The Avalanches' song Flight 22; Greg going home drunk in a towel from Blair's party; all the lunches we had at various places including Japanese in Norton St Plaza...

There was ample food, including some extra courses I didn't expect to be catered for (an appetiser which I thought was entree, and a second dessert!), however the best thing was the dancing element. They spaced out the courses with dancing in between, so of course I got up and grooved my way around the floor. I had fun dancing with Rodders (who was acting a tad drunk) and Blair, but Gabs was my main dance partner. I think the higlight for me was that Xerx and I got the chance to show our Cha Cha on the dancefloor! It was SO much fun using the ballroom dancing classes to finally do some social dancing :)

They had some small bonboniere made from the same stationery as the invitations - silver with royal blue mesh paper which was very delicate. The decorations overall were immaculate, very crisply white and elegant. Ali turned up in a bow tie which I thought was adorably cute!

Afterwards, Blair, Rodney and I went for drinks at Zanzibar to catch up on the past 3 years. I think Blair's had a lot of fun over there, travelling to various places like Iceland (Iceland!) and around europe of course... he's thinking of moving out of London just for a change. He offered me his place to crash if I'm ever in the UK again, which was really nice. We were all falling asleep at around 2:30, so we headed off home but I'm sure I'll catch up with those guys again soon :)

Today was Gab's farewell at her parents' house in Pymble. She has a really nice front yard full of trees but with a paved area which is ideal for barbeques and friendly gatherings... the downside being that you have to drive to Pymble! The weather was cool, but it was nice seeing her house again. We moved the party inside and had a fun afternoon just chatting, playing Cluedo, arguing with Chito that stockings are NOT comfortable, laughing hilariously when he tried a pair on, building up a log fire, and eating all their great BBQ food.

We gave her the cash for her camera, so she'll hopefully get the chance to buy it during the week and play with it before she goes. T minus 5 days for her, and T minus six for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home