Tuesday, September 05, 2006

everything seems more poignant at 2am

Today was a bit of a topsy turvy day. I had pangs of guilt/homesickness last night and stayed up till 2am to call my parents back in Sydney. I spoke with Mum and Adrian, but Dad was still at work finalising things before his trip. I even tried to call him at work but got his voicemail. :( I managed to call him this afternoon, and he sounded really happy to hear from me, which made me feel happier - it’s a wonder how small things can affect your day so much.

We cycled around Stanley Park today. It’s huge, but an easy bike ride because it’s all flat. There were a lot of rollerbladers around the place – none very muscly or tanned, but I still felt like I was in California! I was also impressed because there’s a dedicated cycle/rollerblading lane, and another for pedestrians, so you don’t have to worry about cycling into anyone.

After the bike ride, we stumbled on actual Japanese people queuing up at an actual Japanese restaurant - a tiny place with a bar and four tables serving handmade ramen noodles. We debated about the wait and decided it was worth $7 Canadian dollars for a giant bowl each. It was delicious, but I wonder if real Japanese people can eat that much?

We shopped along Robson St in the afternoon, the Vancouver equivalent of Pitt St. I spent money I shouldn’t have :(

After a rest in the hostel, we visited the Vancouver art museum in the evening (“hey - it’s cheap Tuesday, entry by donation! Let’s go!”) and ate at a 50s style diner for dinner. Servings were huge and the décor was brilliantly retro. We’re going back for breakfast sometime, it all looked fantastic – baked grapefruit with brown sugar and pecans; blueberry and banana pancakes with fruit; scrambled eggs with brie cheese and bacon on a croissant with rosemary potatoes; muesli with natural yoghurt and fruit (because your diet SHOULD include fibre, even while on holiday).

I bought some really cute red earrings. I think they’re my new favourites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home