Thursday, October 19, 2006

the land of baguette and cheese

There's so much to say about this France trip that I don't know where to start. The sights have been wonderful, having a car is so handy (I even learned how to drive manual - now THAT's exciting) and we've been just going wherever the flow takes us, for the most part.

The highlight so far has been the town of Chamonix near Mont Blanc, Europe's tallest mountain. The scenery around this area is a sea of orange, red and green leaves at this time of year and it's beautiful. It actually reminds me a lot of Switzerland, I travelled through the Swiss alps at about the same time last year, so all the memories of that trip are coming back.

There have been a lot of tiny european roads that wind their way around hills and valleys, and old medieval towns with their castles and cobblestone streets. There have also been overdeveloped tourist towns and some creative sign language when our very limited French vocabulary has failed us. But everyone has been very friendly and helpful, especially in the far out towns where fewer people speak English.

We haven't gone too crazy with food, although our last leg (Lyon) is known as the gastronomic capital of France so I'm sure we'll be eating well there.

I've taken a million photos. Anyone who's gone travelling with me knows how snap-happy I am; well, I'm nothing compared to Cameron. We've taken a lot of panoramic shots which I hope to upload soon. I've put one of Jasper up (see previous post).

Anyway, the travelling portion of my holiday is just about over. It's been fun, but I'm ready to stop living out of a suitcase now... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home