Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the suit theorem

I don't think I've explained my suit theory before, but it goes something like this. If you take any guy - good looking or not - and put him in a nice, well-fitting suit, his rating goes up tenfold. Now, I'm not claiming to be the first person to notice this, and the theory doesn't apply to every female observer, but it's definitely a part of my own personal superficial rating scale.

The suit factor is a multiplier, not a simple addition to a score, so a George Clooney in a suit will benefit much more than an ugly and balding 50-year-old. In fact, the suit theory might hinder the ugly guy because if they were standing next to each other, every female would be so blinded by the attractiveness and charisma of George in a suit that they'll completely ignore the fact that there's another person standing there. He might even get injured in the mad rush to get close to George.

Now, there are a lot of guys in London who wear suits, which suits me just fine (hee hee, I made a funny!) There are finance people who look very important, reading actual newspapers they've paid for printed on different coloured paper than most plebs in the carriages, dressed in expensive suits with a trendy euro scarf, going about their daily money-making business. During Christmas time I saw quite a few men in tuxedos on the tube heading to some party or other, which was often a bright spot in my day. (Tuxedos are a whole different class of suit altogether, but sadly you don't get them very often.) It was just so incongruous seeing these men dressed to the nines, often with a female in hand, doing something so mundane like catching public transport. I wasn't complaining.

Anyway, all this brings me to the point of my story: I casually observed a Jude Law lookalike on the tube this evening. He was wearing a suit and reading the paper, which was all fairly normal for after work. At Euston Square, he reached the end of his paper, fished out a pen, and started doing a sudoku puzzle. It really warms my heart knowing that there are good looking nerds out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home