Wednesday, November 28, 2007

breaking the compiler is Not Good

[more in a series of posts made while I was internetless.]

I broke the c# compiler today. Not a temporary I'm-kind-of-broken-because-of-some-strange-state-I've-managed-to-get-into broken, but actually reproducibly broken, to the point where it throws up lots of error messages with CAPITAL LETTERS and SYMBOLS and helpfully suggests that you try to examine the code at this suggested line (and above) and try to make it "simpler".

I think that just about sums up my day.

It feels really depressing to be stuck at work for another two weeks while everyone cool is leaving this week (or has left already). I'm now working by myself tidying up the rest of the precore-core merge, and generally feeling unmotivated because there's nobody there that I can whinge to about day to day happenings on the team... and I'm really starting to feel it after three days. But I have to admit that it makes financial and mental sense for me to work those two extra weeks, then take a break. I'll take myself on holiday over Christmas and then release the recruiter hounds in the new year. Especially since I've just moved into an expensive flat and spent 750 pounds on a visa to let me stay in the country, I can do with the extra dosh :P I had been planning to take some time out to learn some WCF/WPF, and part of the new drive is that I was thinking about installing vista, so why shouldn't I just... buy a new laptop that already has it installed? hehehe.

So this is all tied up in the "which new laptop should I buy?" dilemma that I have been musing on for easily the last two months. The two main contenders are a Sony vaio of impressively small size and even more impressive battery life, and a MacBook(Pro) for it's sheer mac-iness and dual boot ability. I've been wanting to build up my unix skills again and maybe think about developing things on macs. I've had lots of other stuff on the burner lately which has made it difficult to think about, plus the fact that I don't have the internet at home so I can't research anything, so I've just been "um"-ing and "ah"-ing over it. I think I'm leaning slightly towards the mac, since it gives me a lot more new features and software than the sony will, and it's pretty unlikely that i'll use it on the go to warrant the sony's size... but the appeal of a laptop that is so small is SO strong. Imagine taking that thing on planes and on holidays - it would easily fit in my handbag, it's that small. But Paul has told me that there is a mac convention sometime in January where they might be releasing some kind of mini mac laptop, which would suit my needs perfectly. The only hitch is that I have to wait until january! arg.

anyway, since I'm still recovering from my flu-like illness I should take myself off to bed. Impressed that I've managed to wrap all this up before midnight, yay for me!

for the record, I've been listening to a lot of porcupine tree lately - I think they're the new snow patrol of winter 07.

1 Comments:

At 12:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porcupine Tree is the shizzle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home