Thursday, May 25, 2006

packing

Packing has been a nostalgic adventure. I've come across things I forgot that I owned, like square white plates, pie moulds and lots of little gadgety things. I have a lot of stuff just around the place, but not often used. I'm sure I could live comfortably anywhere as long as I had a bed, blankets and an internet connection.

Putting my life into boxes feels very sad. You shouldn't be able to quantify me as a person by the stuff that I own, yet if I didn't have all these things I'm sure I wouldn't be the person that I am...

It hasn't quite sunk in that I'm moving yet. I guess I'll miss my room and its frustratingly dim lighting. I'll miss the massive balcony window that I have (but I probably won't miss the balcony, because I never used it :p). I'll miss the wooden floors, the granite kitchen, the downlights, and the palatial bathroom with no window - especially the superb shower pressure and temperature. Goodbye to my massive mirrored floor-to-ceiling built in wardrobe with ample cupboard space. I'll miss you. I'll miss little Erskineville village, the awesome thai place three minutes up the road, and King st only ten minutes' walk away. I will especially miss the ten minute commute to and from work or the city. I will *not* miss the cockroaches, or the funny mould growing in the corner of the laundry, or the not-very-blockout blinds, or the traffic noises early on Saturday mornings. I will very comfortably live without our dodgy garage where people steal radiators and floor mats from your car on your birthday (bastards. :p) and I surely won't miss paying rent money to anonymous people. Or dealing with incompetent real estate agents.

Just typing this list out has already made me twice as nostalgic as when I started. Perhaps it's wise that I stop and get back to the packing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home