Tuesday, June 06, 2006

fifteen minutes I'll never get back

I'm sick today.

I have a sore throat and a fever :(

To kill time while recouperating, I decided to watch some DVDs (as you do when you're sick at home). This was a fine idea, but the execution was a little trickier than expected. I haven't watched a DVD at my parents' house in over 18 months, and some things have changed. Somehow we have nine (9) remote controls on our coffee table, each with a perplexing array of audio visual options, and only one combination makes any given DVD player work (we have two). The scenario was not unlike Rachel Weisz in The Mummy, faced with impending danger and some ancient hieroglyphics containing the secret to killing the bad guy.

Unfortunately for me, there were no helpful instructions on the table for technologically illiterate to follow (read: my mother or the dog). Examining the back of the DVD player/TV/amplifier yielded nothing but an amazed "wow" at the huge number of cables we have connecting everything together.

So clearly I had no other option but to take the plunge and start pressing likely buttons. Anything marked "AV", "function", "input", "channel" or "video" was targeted, and after five persistent minutes I was rewarded with sound. Hooray! It was a satisfying victory.

However, the video proved elusive - a problem that five more minutes of button pressing and a phone call to dad couldn't fix.

I guess I'm watching free-to-air TV for the rest of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home