Saturday, November 11, 2006

predicate logic and alcohol do not mix

I'm sitting in an internet cafe on a saturday afternoon revising predicate logic.

One of my recruiters has sent me some exercises to review in preparation for a job at a large financial institution. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that I swore off the stuff when I finished PSDB way back when in 2000. I may have even had some celebratory coffee/cake type meal to mark the occasion. And yet six years later, I'm giving up an (admittedly grey and not very warm) saturday afternoon to revise predicate logic. I don't even remember the rules!!! It's very vexing. I might even quit while I'm ahead and not do the interview to save myself the trouble of being rejected later.

On the topic of jobs, I've had a lot of calls since my last dreary post. Vicki gave me some hints on how to update my resume and suddenly everything started moving very quickly. I got offered two jobs - one contract, one permanent. While the contract is very attractive in pay and work content, it is out in the middle of nowhere working for a 4 person company whose .NET experience is a collective 3 hours. The permanent is great in terms of people and location, but sounds as exciting as watching mung beans grow. It's going to sound insane, but I might turn them both down. Which puts me back to where I started five days ago. :( And revising predicate logic on a Saturday.

I drank a lot of alcohol last night too (just to de-stress, mind you). My head did not feel like it wanted to do predicate logic today, but I got up and made it learn.

I did have a break mid-afternoon to see Tokyo Chutei Iki, a wacky Japanese jazz group here for the London Jazz Festival (playing for free at a bookstore in London. Free is good.) The group is made up of 10 baritone saxophones and they have lots of fun with their performances - jumping up and down in time with the music, wandering amongst the crowd, sitting down, lying down, taking photos of themselves in the middle of the performance. It was great! They also have a performance tonight, but at 20 pounds I can't really afford it at the moment...

I coincidentally ran into my cousin at the Jazz performance so I spent a couple of hours with a coffee and catch up. It was good a good excuse not to do predicate logic.

Predicate logic and alcohol do not mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home