Monday, April 24, 2006

oh, that's cute - write it down!

I have a bit of an obsession about recording and collecting things (or, I should say, wanting to record things). For example, I'll often find myself doing the grocery shopping, driving my car, eating dinner at a restaurant or any number of un-computer-accessible places, have an interesting moment or thought, and then go "hey, I should write that down."

I wonder if it comes from the fact that my memory is getting pretty bad, or that I just like hearing myself talk :p I do like reading back on random moments sometimes, because it helps me to recreate things I've experienced. (You would think that my memory could adequately do that, but apparently not).

I'm definitely not from the Less is More camp. Just look at my photos when I go on holidays. There are almost 70 photos for a long weekend in Melbourne. I used to collect movie ticket stubs when I was in high school, and carry them around with me in my purse. I'd get a strange enjoyment going through them with my other friends who'd do the same thing, and we'd compare which movies we'd seen and how many times we saw them. It was at the stage where I was carting around over 100 ticket stubs (with a hundred more at home), some of which had faded to the point when I couldn't read them anymore. I'm not entirely sure why I kept them.

Why am I such a hoarder? It's like experience isn't enough for me, I need something tangible to be able to present to others and myself, and say, "I was there". Or maybe I'm a bit like a prosecutor - collecting as much available evidence as I can to present to the jury (my later self) to make up their own mind about things later.

This blog seems to be just another thing I hoard. It's a snapshot of my brain at a point in time... like the ultimate souvenir of my life. I wonder what I'll think of it in ten years when I go back to read it again? Will any of it make sense? Will I understand where I was coming from? I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home