Friday, September 08, 2006

It's scary when you lose things

I had two scares today! Both when I was by myself, which I think magnifies the panic a little.

I caught an early shuttle to the airport for my flight to Calgary. Lucky I arrived early, because the shuttle was late and the domestic check in queues were HUGE. It was at this point that I had my first crisis and discovered that I’d left my phone at the hostel. It was one of those “oh my god” moments when I realised that I had been sleeping on a top bunk, Alison wouldn’t check it for my possessions and both housekeeping and someone else was going to end up clearing or sleeping on that bunk. Thankfully, Alison’s mobile number is extraordinarily similar to mine so I called her using the last two dollars credit available on my phonecard. The phone was successfully retrieved in the evening. First crisis averted!

The hostel I stayed at was large with an alpine feel, but had less impressive facilities than Vancouver. Two little French ladies and three Japanese girls were in my cabin. The French ladies’ size belied their ability to snore very loudly.

Before dinner I browsed through the shops at Banff. It was all pretty touristy, but there was a cute cow shop with t-shirts, mugs and other cow paraphernalia. My ideal shop! I’ll be going back there when I return to Banff next week :)

I debated whether or not I’d try and talk to random people I didn’t know, but tiredness won out. Then I had my second scary moment when I thought I’d lost the key to my locker, which had my passport, laptop, and about 80% of the money I was carrying around. eep! I spent 20 minutes fishing the spare out (which I’d cleverly locked inside the locker) with some dextrous work with scissors through a tiny gap at the top. I found the real key two minutes later IN THE LOCK of another padlock. Go me.

It was fun trying to wake up for an 8am pickup without an alarm, but the snoring kept me awake, so I didn’t have any problems after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home