Sunday, December 17, 2006

mmmm... chicken salt.

I have a lot of mish-mashed thoughts that I'm just going to ramble about today. Consider youselves warned. :)

The past week has been fairly eventful. Unfortunately the 3 month work contract that was supposed to last me through until February had the plug pulled on it last week, so I'm looking for work again right before Christmas. It's entirely my recruitment agent's fault; they told me it was a 3 month contract, but the company hiring me was offering only a 1 month rolling contract. Even though the company and I had worked out the dupe about a week into my contract, I didn't think it was going to be that bad because the company expected some work to come through at the start of December. Unfortunately the new work didn't eventuate, and won't until January at least, so I'm back on the job market.

Admittedly, looking for work hasn't been as bad as I expected. I've been to quite a few interviews, there are a lot of people looking for workers to start as soon as the new year begins, and some even before the new year (and they're permanent roles too, so I'd be getting paid public holidays!) Some recruiters are all in a panic as well, because if they haven't met their recruitment targets then they're desperate to get people into roles. I'm just in a bit of a dilemma, because I don't want permanent work. And the stress of job hunting takes its toll. Every day I wake up not knowing how I'll feel at the end of the day. I can be depressed, elated, optimistic then dejected in the space of three hours, and I hate it.

I got interviewed for a contract role last friday which I'm quite desperate to get, but I'll find out tomorrow whether or not I'm the lucky one... and I have to give an answer for a permanent role that I've been offered tomorrow as well. The problem is I'm hoping to visit Australia in Feb/March next year to use up my return ticket, so I don't want to use up 2 weeks of leave in a permanent job to visit home instead of visiting europe... :) So on that basis I think I'll keep trying for contracts and see how that goes. But then again, things change so quickly here who knows what I might do in 24 hours' time...

On happier matters, last week I visited the Australia Shop in Covent Garden and melted into a nostalgic puddle. Imagine a whole wall of Arnott's Biscuits, ETA Barbeque sauce, Vita Wheats, Picnic Bars, Twisties, Vegemite, Kraft Peanut Butter, Lamingtons, Cottees Cordial and Pizza Shapes... it's a boring old scene from your local Woolworths, but I went nuts and spent 18 pounds on things that would have cost me about 15 dollars in Australia. :P My shopping basket consisted of:

* Tim Tams (for guys at work)
* Mint Slice (for guys at work)
* Vita Wheat 9-grains (for Gabby)
* Cheese Twisties (for Cally)
* Edgell's Creamed Corn (for Vicki)
* Picnic bar (for Niall)
* Caramello Koala (for Phil)
* Wagon Wheel (for me)
* Chicken Salt (originally for Phil until I found out his parents had shipped some over, so now I inherit it. Mmmmm....)

It was really fun, and even funnier seeing everyone else in the shop clutching bags of Allen's Strawberries and Cream or Nutri Grain for dear life. Nowhere else would you be able to buy a basket full of junk and justify it. Imagine working in a place that makes everyone feel so happy... it would be like working in a miracle factory! At least now I know where to go if I'm feeling homesick. :)

Last Tuesday I went to The Royal Ballet's production of Sleeping Beauty with Gabby and Cally (very cultured, no?) It was really amazing seeing the strength these tiny ballerinas, I wish I could do even a quarter of what they were capable of. The costumes and music were fantastic as well, we all left feeling quite inspired (kind of like the time when we saw The Devil Wears Prada and wanted an unlimited fashion wardrobe at our disposal).

It only hit me this weekend that Christmas is a week away. If you aren't shopping and running into the crowds and hearing the muzak in the shops, it doesn't seem real. But this weekend I saw carollers on the streets (bad ones), and harried mothers, and lots of Hamleys bags stuffed with toys of all descriptions. I walked along Oxford St a bit last weekend which was crazy, so I don't want to think of what it was like this weekend. I'm looking forward to Christmas dinner with my cousins in Victoria. It should be a good day of excessive eating. Mmmm... excessive eating...

I've also got another holiday planned - Vicki and I are going to Seville in Spain between Christmas and New Year. Flamenco dancing, Tapas, and hot Spanish guys... what more could we ask for? ;)

Cam was hosting a Christmas party last night, so I called while it was on and got to speak to him, Bunny, Khanh and Ian. It made my day and sounds like they had a great time, even with the Turkey debacle. Actually, hearing about the turkey debacle only made it sound funnier. I miss you guys, enjoy the snickers pods while you have them!! :)

I hope everyone is having a great time in the leadup to Christmas. May you all eat to excess and not feel guilty about it! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home