Wednesday, May 03, 2006

seachange

So, a while ago I told my parents that I’m planning to move to London. My mother took it a lot better than I expected, but my dad seemed really sad. :(

I’ve never believed that I’d have the mental strength to want to move anywhere so far away, especially another country. I’m an indecisive person by nature, it took me eight hours to work out which of two backpacks I wanted to buy before my recent trip to Japan. So, taking six months to reach the decision to go to London is a pretty good record for me. I've been thinking about 'maybe' going for months, but it all solidified when Gabby announced that she was going to go, and I spent the weekend in Melbourne mulling it over with Cameron. Both he and Alison are probably sick of hearing me talk about it, so now that I’ve come to a decision at least they’ll get some peace.

At the moment I’m living in a rare period of mental clarity – this decision makes sense to me on both a rational and emotional level. Work is fairly uninspiring and doesn’t offer me a whole lot of mental challenge any more. I’ve been there for almost three years now, so it’s probably time for a change. Alison and I have wanted to move out of Erskineville for a while, so it makes sense for me to move home to spend time with my family before I go, and she can move in with her friends who are all keen to move to new places. I’ll sell my car, start eBaying a lot of my stuff and find new homes for my non-portable possessions. I’ve started mentally reviewing everything I need to do before I go, like going to the dentist, physiotherapist, optometrist, cancelling my health insurance and other direct debits, finding a new place to live, finding a new job, getting my visa, establishing a London bank account, cancelling my credit cards... there’s a lot to do, and I hope three months is enough time. :p

I’m afraid that I'll start wavering as I get closer to d-day. I already have mini attacks about 'ohmygod, what about ' and I don’t understand how I can possibly have even thought about moving. Then I get back to being excited about the new things that I’ll experience and wonder how I can possibly doubt going. I'll take it as a good sign that the panic attacks are only a small proportion to the time I’m anticipating travelling.

I'm trying not to think about anything that I’ll miss while I’m gone. I can always come back if things don’t work over there. I think I’m just ready for a mental change, and going for a different job or moving somewhere else in Sydney just isn’t going to cut it anymore. Moving out to Erskineville was fantastic, but we’ve been there for eighteen months and we’re getting sick of the cockroaches (well, I am :p)

I'm very keen to try something different, and at least I'll be able to travel around Europe for a while!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home