Monday, May 21, 2007

your-internet-history | /dev/null

I tried to check my old yahoo mail account today to see what was in there, but alas! I haven't logged in for over four months, so the whole thing has been deleted. :(

I've had that email account since year 11, so there was a lot of mail in there from my school and uni days. Lots of banter, angst, x-philean/buffy ravings, mailing list hysteria, websitery, and conversations with random internet friends that I'd made... email was a very important slice of my life, since I counted myself rather socially inept at the time. I hadn't read most of it for years, but it was something I'd keep if I could.

It's a bit sad to think that a whole chunk of my internet life has been wiped out because I met arbitrary criteria for a random batch file running on yahoo's servers. I'd probably pay to get my account back if I could, just to download all the mail.

Ah well. That'll learn me. I cried (not really) when my hotmail accounts were nuked, and made a vague attempt to try and get my yahoo mail saved off somewhere back then, but stopped when it became Too Hard.

It's a bit like losing a computer hard drive... or two... in the space of three days, which happened to me in Sydney a couple of years ago. Oh, I cried then - no more ICQ history, no more old website designs, some lost photos, and the effort of having to rebuild and get all your settings just right again. And then having to do the same for my work machine. :p The pain of it all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home